Arizona Traditions Surprise, AZ
17221 N Citrus Road – Surprise, AZ 85374
Arizona Traditions Overview
With just 1,895 homes, Arizona Traditions is much smaller than the big Sun City developments that surround it, but they offer all of the same great amenities in their 24,000 square foot community center.
The community was launched in 1996 by Continental Homes, and was Continental’s only endeavor into the active adult market. Continental Homes was subsequently bought out by DR Horton in the early 2000’s and DR Horton took over the community and continued with the same floor plans that were offered by Continental.
The Retreat at Arizona Traditions
The original plan called for 1,772 homes to be built around the circular loop that winds through the original section of the community. However, during the mid-2000’s, sales were great so DR Horton acquired the small parcel of land to the west of the Arizona Canal that runs along the edge of the community and incorporated it into the Arizona Traditions subdivision.
The “adjunct” area is called The Retreat at Arizona Traditions, and it has its own gated entrance, separate and apart from the main guard-gated entrance for the “original” Arizona Traditions. The Retreat also has its own small clubhouse and pool, so residents don’t have to go far to take a swim or have a gathering.
A small footbridge was constructed across the canal, leading to the main community, so Retreat residents can walk or ride a golf cart across the bridge to take advantage of all of the main clubhouse activities or play a round of golf.
Arizona Traditions Amenities
At Arizona Traditions you can enjoy:
- Sport Courts: Tennis Courts, Pickleball Courts, Horseshoe Pits
- Pools: Resort-style swimming pool, lap pool, and spa – all are heated
- Fitness Center: Fitness Center with modern aerobics and strength training equipment
- Arts & Crafts: Numerous crafts and workshops: sewing, quilting, woodshop, lapidary, pottery, and more
- Softball Field: Softball leagues compete among the area active adult communities
- Game & Recreation Rooms: Billiards Area, Card Rooms, Library
- Ballroom/auditorium: There are many community gatherings, dances and showtime performances sponsored by the community.
- Sports Bar/Coffee Shop: Enjoy Sunday morning pancake breakfasts, or just stop by to grab a bite to eat, watch a game and chat with friends and neighbors.
There are plenty of classes and community activities, so be sure to check the HOA’s website for the current list of clubs, classes and activities. You’re sure to find something that peaks your interests.
Arizona Traditions Real Estate
All homes at Arizona Traditions are detached single family dwellings with lots of different floor plans, ranging in size from 1,052 sq.ft. to just under 2,400 sq.ft. Some homes offer 2.5 or 3-car garages or detached guest casitas, and golf course views. Prices and HOA fees are surprisingly affordable given the quality of the community’s amenities and the ages of the homes.
Arizona Traditions Golf
Arizona Traditions Golf Club has teamed up with the Great Eagle Golf Club at Happy Trails RV Resort, and all passes are good at both courses.
- Arizona Traditions Golf Club: is a par-70 parkland style course with great views of the White Tank Mountains. The course has rolling terrain, an abundance of mature trees and undulating greens.
- Great Eagle Golf Club: is a par-72 championship course with luscious rolling fairways, numerous grass bunkers, and water in play on five holes. Rated one of the most affordable golf courses in Arizona. Great Eagle Golf Club is a uniquely designed traditional style golf course.
There are several passes to choose from including 12-month, 6-month, Mon-Fri, Weekend Warrior (Fri-Sun), or you can purchase multi-round punch cards.
About the Surprise Area
Arizona Traditions is located on Bell Rd, in Surprise, Arizona. We refer to this stretch of Bell Rd as “Retirement Row,” because you’ll find the 55+ retirement communities of Sun City, Sun City West, Sun Village, Sun City Grand, Arizona Traditions, and Sun City Festival, all in a straight line traveling west on Bell Rd from Peoria to Buckeye.
The town of Surprise is located in the far northwest part of the Greater Phoenix area and has always been difficult because it has not had good freeway access, but all of that is changing as the new Loop 303 freeway is being built. Once completed, it will make this part of the city much more accessible, and downtown Phoenix should be just a 30-40 minute drive from almost any Surprise community.
You’ll find all of your favorite stores and restaurants within a 5-10 minute drive of Arizona Traditions.