Sun Lakes Arizona Sun Lakes, AZ
Sun Lakes Arizona Overview
Sun Lakes covers 3,520 acres, has three different Homeowners Associations, and is comprised of five different communities, all named for the golf club that the community is associated with.
The Sun Lakes Communities
Sun Lakes was built in three major phases, and each “phase” has its own Homeowners Association. Each HOA is an independent and separate entity, separate and apart from the other HOAs.
There are five golf club communities within the three HOAs, and each community has its own golf club, recreation center, and clubhouse. These are the three HOAs and the five communities, in the order that they were built:
HOA #1 – Sun Lakes 1
- Sun Lakes 1: 1972-2002 – the original Sun Lakes Country Club is 2,139 mobile homes and traditional houses surrounding an executive golf course
HOA #2 – Cottonwood/Palo Verde
- Cottonwood: 1979-1995 – a regulation golf course surrounded by 2,736 traditional houses and townhomes
- Palo Verde: 1983-1996 – the first gated community in Sun Lakes is an executive golf course surrounded by 1,073 traditional houses.
HOA #3 – Iron/Oaks
- Ironwood: 1987-2001 – a gated community of 734 houses surrounding a mid-length par 67 golf course
- Oakwood: 1994-2006 – the last and most upscale of all of the Sun Lakes communities with 3,285 traditional houses and patio homes, offering 27 holes of golf and world-class resort facilities and amenities.
Top Sun Lakes Amenities
Sun Lakes has so many amenities and activities that it would be impossible to list them all here. Here are just a few of the things you’ll enjoy at Sun Lakes:
- Sport Courts: Numerous tennis courts, pickleball courts, shuffleboard courts, bocce ball courts, and horseshoe pits.
- Pools: Each community has at least one pool and spa for residents.
- Fitness Centers: Equipped with aerobics and strength training equipment at every clubhouse. Oakwood fitness club is a separate fee.
- Arts & Crafts: Numerous crafts and workshops: sewing, woodworking, quilting, lapidary, pottery, and more
- Game & Recreation Rooms: Billiards Room, Card Rooms, Libraries, Meeting Rooms
- Ballrooms/auditorium: Several of the communities have ballrooms for gatherings, socials, dances and stage performances sponsored by the community.
- Dining: Full-service restaurants are located at each of the golf clubs. Oakwood also has a poolside restaurant and a fine-dining restaurant that serves great Sunday brunches.
- Duplicate Bridge: Regular competitive duplicate bridge games are held at Oakwood.
- RV Storage: Storage of RVs, boats, trailers and cars at an inexpensive monthly rental fee.
There are literally hundreds of clubs and interest groups, so you’re sure to find something that peaks your curiosity.
Sun Lakes Real Estate
Sun Lakes has many housing options including mobile homes, townhomes, and regular houses.
Mobile Homes: available in the older section, Sun Lakes 1. Most mobile homes will be in the 1973 – 1979 range, but some residents have replaced them over the years with newer models. Only the Sun Lakes 1 section has mobile homes available.
Townhomes: available in Cottonwood and Oakwood, offer a “lock and leave” maintenance free lifestyle. Cottonwood units will be built during the early 1980s, whereas the Oakwood units are built during the 1990s or early 2000s.
Traditional Houses: available in all of the Sun Lakes communities, offering a huge selection of sizes, age of home, and price ranges.
Most homes for sale, especially at the older Sun Lakes communities, have been well-maintained by the owners, but will reflect the styles and finishes that were popular when the homes were built. Buyers sometimes will want to do a little updating and modernizing.
Sun Lakes Golf
Sun Lakes has five golf courses, all of which are owned and operated by their respective HOAs and are only open to Sun Lakes residents and their guests. There is no, or very limited, public play allowed on the courses.
Two regulation-length courses:
- Cottonwood – an 18-hole par 72 course
- Oakwood – a 27-hole par 72 regulation course (all three nines are par 36)
Two executive-length courses:
- Sun Lakes Country Club – an 18-hole par 60 course
- Palo Verde – an 18-hole par 62 course
One mid-length course:
- Ironwood – an 18-hole par 67 course.
About the Sun Lakes Area
Sun Lakes is located minutes away from the Chandler Fashion Center Mall, and major high tech companies like Intel, in the fast growing Chandler area of the east valley. Just 20 minutes from Phoenix, Sun Lakes has convenient access to major routes and is minutes from I-10, routes 101 and 202. Nearby, Sun Lakes residents can find a public library, casinos featuring blackjack, poker, and slots, and attractions like Firebird International Raceway and Rawhide, an 1800’s old west town.
Most everyday conveniences like grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies, casual dining, etc., are located right within the Sun Lakes area.
You’ll find large malls, as well as all of your favorite stores and restaurants within a 5-10 minute drive of Sun Lakes.
Sun Lakes Homes for Sale
HOA Contacts & Info
There are three separate HOA’s for Sun Lakes:
Sun Lakes HOA #1 – Sun Lakes Country Club
- HOA Website: www.sunlakescountryclub.com
- HOA Phone: 480-895-9270
Sun Lakes HOA #2 – Cottonwood/Palo Verde
- HOA Website:www.cottonwoodpaloverde.com
- Cottonwood HOA Phone: 480-895-3550
- Palo Verde HOA Phone: 480-895-1834
Sun Lakes HOA #3 – Ironwood/Oakwood (IronOaks)
- HOA Website: www.ironoakshoa.com
- Oakwood HOA Phone: 480-895-7275
- Ironwood HOA Phone: 480-895-3275
Sun Lakes Golf Courses
Sun Lakes golf courses are for Sun Lakes residents and guests only, although during the summer months, they will open up some tee times for the general public. Any Sun Lakes residents can play at, or purchase annual or seasonal passes at any of the five courses, but residents within the course’s HOA get better rates.
Sun Lakes Country Club
- Golf Info: Sun Lakes CC Golf Info
- Golf Phone: 480-895-9274
Cottonwood/Palo Verde Courses
- Golf Info: Cottonwood/Palo Verde Golf Info
- Golf Phone: 480-895-9449
- Iron/Oaks Website:: www.ironoaksaz.com
- Oakwood Golf Phone: 480-895-1159
- Ironwood Golf Phone: 480-895-0614
Other Helpful Links
Oakwood Golf Club at Sun Lakes
24215 S Oakwood Blvd – Sun Lakes, AZ 85248